spoon

Pickled Turnips

Category:

Well, I love mezes. Those Middle eastern small dishes we almost serve with each meal. If you are not familiar with mezes, you can find some information and the common dishes here. Pickled turnips are one of my favorite mezes. I made some yesterday using my Mom's original recipe. 



Ingredients:

2 pounds white turnips, peeled and cut into medium size wedges
1 medium beet cut into medium size wedges
3 cups water
1/4 cup salt
2 tsp sugar

Directions: 

  • Place the turnips, beets in a canning jar. The beets will dye the turnips pink. 
  • In a medium saucepan, bring the water, sugar and salt to boil. Set aside to cool briefly, then pour warm mixture over the sliced turnips and beets in the jar. Place the lid on the jar and allow to rest at room temperature for up to a week. 
I usually open the jar in a week. I recommend transferring the jar then to the fridge so the pickles don't get overdone.

Enjoy!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment